Ensuite Bathroom overhaul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post to this site - some great tips/advice from what I see.

We are going to do up our jack and jill bathroom and planning on doing it myself. There are tiles on the wall from ground to halfway up the wall on all sides (within the shower obviously the tiles go all the way up). I have all the floor tiles up and and all the wall tiles off. I think I may be able to get away with just replacing the plasterboard in the area where the shower was as this was particularly hard to get wall tiles off of.

So at the moment I am cutting the down the plasterboard at the point where the shower enclosure ended.

Three questions.

1) Is this okay to do or should it be all or nothing in terms of new plasterboard?
2) Assuming it is okay, what would I fill the gaps with between the existing wall and the new plasterboard? I ask because I would be worried about making the cut plasterboard damp because I will have cut that and the chalk bit will be exposed. If simple filler or mixed up plaster is fine and wouldn't introduce moisture\damp then happy days. Or perhaps I just leave it unfilled and be sure not to lay any tile adhesive around that particular gap?
3) Because I will be leaving the existing wall and putting new plasterboard beside it, there is going to be a small difference in depth because the existing wall would have been plastered and rather than plastering the new plasterboard I am just planning on putting a bit extra tile adhesive on the new plasterboard to make up for this difference. Does this make sense and is it the best way to go?

*Note, I will be tanking the new plasterboard before tiling over it.

Sponsored Links
How about pics of the whole bathroom so that i can understand what i'm looking at?

1) That's ok, just replace the damaged bits.
2) Filler or plaster is ok, it won't affect the cut end. Use a bit of scrim tape as well to help stop any movement.
3) Sounds like a plan.

Sponsored Links
You're better off not plastering plasterboard that is to be tiled as un-plastered it can hold more weight of tile. Without looking at the manufacturers website I think plastered 25kg per square meter, and 35kg bare.

Any small gaps can be filled with expanding foam, and the bare edge of plasterboard doesn't matter because you say you're tanking.

I would fill any gaps with a hard filler, plasterboard adhesive will do if you have some. Then follow the tanking manufacturers instructions and tank away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back