Epoxy Estimator - how far will the JB WELD 2oz tubes go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working out how to attach the mounting brackets for a 2M venetian blind to the upvc frame above the main windows of a small conservatory.

Due to the cheapskate installation, I have discovered that there is no inner steel re-enforcement behind the upvc panel, so I cannot screw the brackets directly to the thin plastic frame.

I propose instead, screwing the mounting brackets to a head board 2M x 4.5 cms, and then attaching the whole structure to the frame using the ‘world’s strongest glue’ J-B Weld Industrial Strength Adhesive, holding it in place during the cure with half a dozen temporary screws.

I have no real idea how much of this epoxy JB Weld I will need. The ‘professional pack’ at £24.99 would be probably too much being 2 x 5oz tubes total 282g. I would like to spend as little as possible, obviously, and the small retail packs of 2 x 1oz tubes total 56g are better value at £4.69 a pop. But how many would I need to adequately coat the 900square cms area of wood?

Anyone know how far a 2oz pack will go?

Sponsored Links
I would not use an epoxy resin for this job. The problem is that the PVC is shiny and expands/contracts with changes in temperature. What material is your "headboard" made from? What is supporting the front edge of your roof? Can you not fix the blind by screwing the brackets into the top of the side walls.
Frank

Thanks Frank. I share your doubts about the advisability of testing the epoxy sticking power vs the co-efficient of expansion of upvc, but faced with no adjacent wall or roof supports, I have nothing to screw my headboard (square timber 2M by 3.5 x 4.5mm) and brackets into. Apart from hollow plastic. As described.
My hope is that the indoors mounting for the blind will not be subjected to huge temperature spikes and thus hopefully withstand any urge of the upvc to shed the epoxy.

Word is, that epoxy applied to suitable roughened upvc will stick and stay stuck. Come what may.

Anyway, faced with no practical options, I'm gonna have to give it a go!

Any guess at how many 2oz combi tubes I'll need? Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you all for suggestions for alternatives to epoxy 2-pacs.

What with weight of the headboard timber plus the the weight of the blind and batten - <9.5Kg,
chris-o's suggestion of C-Tec Power Grab n Bond Construction Vertical Bonding Industrial Adhesive looks like the business.
I'm going to have to work out how much their recommended 'Apply 450mm x 13mm bead per kilogram weight', will be in monetary cost at £13 per 290ml.! But not now, its late.
Thanks to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back