essex flange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit an essex flange to my hw cylinder for a Salamander shower pump. Could someone please advise me the best method of cutting the hole in the cylinder wall and how far up is the best position? thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a lot easier to fit a Warix flange, which just screws into the top tapping. But if you do insist on an Essex flange the instructions will answer your question. Make sure you get one which allows the pipe to project into the cylinder to avoid drawing in air bubbles.

You have to drain some water out of the cylinder (usual place is about 200mm from the very top, so you're on to the cylidrical part of the cylinder.
Then it's actually easier than undoing the plumbing on the cylinder for a Warix. Key is to have a holesaw the right size. From memory that's 1 1/2" for a 22mm but a rather odd 1 5/16ths for a 15mm.

You basically drill the hole then feed the bits through then do the nut up, which takes about two minutes.
BUT join your piece of (say22mm) pipe onto the outlet before you start. It's a compression fitting. Then you can hold the pipe while you do the fixing nut up which is much easier than trying to hold the Essex bit.

Darn, is that how you do it, half of Scarborough is littered with little bits of wire and the back portion of Essex flange.

Sponsored Links
If you're a completely neurotic, paranoid, obsessive compulsive worrier like me, clamp Mole grips round the bit of pipe - then it's too darn big to disappear through the ole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back