Ethernet CCA vs Copper Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA) Ethernet cables are in some cases a third of the price of Copper cables, there is still this unsolved dilemma - Which cable is good for what and from what point do you decide which cable to go for?

I have searched on here and through the internet, found a few articles that state people should avoid CCA cables like the plague, others said it's OK but not for intensive purposes, while others said that you might experience problems with HDMI...

From what I understand (from online articles) is that CCA has a higher packet loss rate due to the small amounts of copper smeared on the aluminium strands, therefore while data applications can put up with lost/corrupt packets on the way, video will be more sensitive to it and one will experience undesired side effects.

But is this "video", video of a 1080p resolution being streamed to 4 TVs in the house simultaneously or even simply streaming Youtube 1080p to one PC that one will be experiencing problems?

Will you experience problems streaming 5GB MKV video file and transferring large files simultaneously on CCA rather than copper?

Have any of you installed CCA cabling and noticed any drops in performance, quality or an increase in packets loss?

Sponsored Links
While Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA) Ethernet cables are in some cases a third of the price of Copper cables, there is still this unsolved dilemma - Which cable is good for what and from what point do you decide which cable to go for?
Why is it an unsolved dilemma?

It is not Cat 5 or 5e compliant - any maker that claims it is is lying.

It is not even falsely claimed to be Cat 6 or 6a compliant.

Don't use it.

For anything.

Simples.

In theory CCA will work well at lower data rates but will possibly present some problems when used at the higher data rates and analogue video signals.

I am aware of one flood wired installation where the contractor cut costs by using CCA instead of the copper specified and apparently there are no problems with data at 115 kbauds using RS485 and RS422 equipment.

That said the difference in progagation speeds between aluminium core and copper skin may result in poor edges in high speed data signals.

In theory CCA will work well at lower data rates but will possibly present some problems when used at the higher data rates and analogue video signals.
And when used for Power over Ethernet.

I am aware of one flood wired installation where the contractor cut costs by using CCA instead of the copper specified and apparently there are no problems with data at 115 kbauds using RS485 and RS422 equipment.
That's irrelevant.

If the spec was for copper then the contractor should have been forced to replace it all at his cost.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info guys!

Can someone recommend some good and reputable online retailers from where I can purchase good quality CAT5e ethernet copper cable from please?

Can someone recommend some good and reputable online retailers from where I can purchase good quality CAT5e ethernet copper cable from please?
RS...

Black Box...

Misco...

If it's a reputable make and says it's ANSI/TIA-568-C, ISO/IEC 11801 or BS EN 50173 compliant then it'll be OK.

You could start here for a list of manufacturers: www.cccassoc.org

But why Cat5e? Unless you're installing miles of the stuff I wouldn't have thought that the saving vs Cat 6 or Cat6a was worth bothering with.

Just spent the whole day making off RJ45's. What a PITA.
That's very unusual.

Hope you were right to do that, and that you won't be faced with an even bigger PITA when you have to cut off all the RJ45s and fit 8P8Cs....

:LOL:

Its ok B-A-S ,

i stand corrected, although my dam crimper says RJ45 on it.

Although we do use unkeyed 8P8C/RJ45's in part of the factory!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back