eTRV's how do they compare?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking at eTRV’s mainly Screwfix and trying to get my head around the options. Looking at controlling four rooms I have been comparing the price and what they will do.

Top of list is the EvoHome coming in at £487.98 if I am getting it right one does not need a room thermostat everything is controlled by the thermostat pack and is all singing dancing.

The rest also need a wall thermostat to shut boiler down during the summer so I am adding £80 to cover cost of programmable thermostat so all on a level plane.

Other end of scale is the Pegler Terrier i-temp i30 £185.96 there is no wifi each unit is independent I can easy understand both these options, there is around £300 between the two options, and the more expensive clearly gives better control and easier to install as no need to fiddle getting the wall thermostat to switch off boiler at correct point, you in these two extremes get what you have paid for.

However between these two extremes you have:-
MiHome £282.97
LightwaveRF £389.95
Devolo £429.95
JG Speedfit think this is for under floor heating so I will forget this one.

From what I can work out, the Devolo can work with or without a hub, so without a hub it would be just £319.96 but it then just does same as the Pegler so seems rather over priced. I assume even with the hub it will not directly control the boiler?

The LightwaveRF has poor reports saying it is noisy, so it would seem of the mid priced options the MiHome comes out on top.

However I have fitted MiHome and I found there were some aspects which one does not realise until actually fitted and running.

The whole idea of using TRV control is it is seamless, the boiler adjusts output and the valves gradually open and close so there is a low hysteresis the thermostat does as the summer months arrive finally switch off the boiler, but until that point it is gradual, however maybe too gradual over night dropping from 19°C to 16°C it rarely actually hits 16°C and from 16°C to 22°C in the morning from 6 am to 8 am it never gets to 22°C when at 8 am it drops to 19°C it is just about at 19°C the target of 22°C is to ensure valve fully opened it do not expect it to be reached. So the MiHome in real terms because it is so slow is rather a waste of money, the ability to change the temperature with phone or PC is simply not used because the temperature needs changing so far in advance, it may as well have been the Pegler that was fitted.

There were also other issues, with two thermostats being fitted one solely to give a morning boost. I had noted with Nest one could use a follow command, however it is the TRV which follows Nest, not Nest following the TRV so it means to use follow command all rooms are at the same temperature, and the whole idea was that each room was independent.

I will admit I selected the MiHome as also wanted remote controlled sockets; however LightwaveRF also does remote controlled sockets, and as yet only 2 rooms with eTRV’s fitted. Hind sight and hind sight is easy, should have used the Pegler and saved some money. The EvoHome to my mind far too expensive, and would still need either lightwave or MiHome hub for sockets.

So has anyone else used eTRV’s and how well did they work in practice? To get mine working as I wanted, I had to add a standard TRV to hall radiator, the hall was heating up too fast and switching off the wall thermostat, if I turned down the lock shield valve then after answering front door it took to long to reheat hall, so with the wall thermostat set to 19°C and the TRV starts to close at 18°C it gives me the extra time required to get rest of house warm. Clearly would not have this problem with the EvoHome. Now don’t really need the second thermostat, but no real point in removing it either.

So which do you have? And how well has it worked? I have daughters house to do now, so asking how others have found them.

Sponsored Links
EvoHome is arguably top of the range but is very definitely not a DIY install for most people - even experienced installers have the ability to make a royal hash of it :giggle:

Another one to look at is Genius Home, which is a bit easier to put in, cheaper than EvoHome and has much of the same functionality.

The cheaper systems tend to be either on or off, maybe a couple of steps in between, but ultimately the temperature control isn't as good as EH and Genius which have as many as 100 steps between fully open and fully closed giving very precise temperature control. Non-connected eTRVs are pointless - you won't adjust them any more than you do manual ones, and they can't fire the boiler up

The Genius Home does seem interesting, I went onto the site however they seem to want to spoon feed you with snippets of information rather than tell you what you need to do what. After some more hunting I did find more here the price is variable depending on the options, but at £1000 it would take a long time to recuperate the cost, and having made a mistake once, I am not happy at the idea of making any errors.

It shows occupancy sensors having seen how slow rooms heat, and the cool even slower it does seem to be asking rather a lot for it to work with sensors, the smart plugs look like those horrid LAN or power line things, it would it's not as they really mess up amateur radio.

However it is very interesting, and does seem on the surface to be better than the EvoHome.

Sponsored Links
The guys at Genius are very happy to help you if you're stuck (or I can - I'm a Genius trained installer). There is a good system builder on the website though https://www.geniushub.co.uk/create-your-system

The occupancy sensors can be set to either turn the heating on and off in individual rooms according to your usage patterns, or just act as additional thermostats for even more accurate room control (especially useful in large rooms with a radiator at one end, for example). They're not required though, you can have as many or as few as you like.

The Smart Plugs double as range extenders, useful in larger properties but not essential in smaller ones, although they are good for turning other things on and off remotely

Thanks there is no hurry, not real point until I move home again, now I have the MiHome fitted the system is reasonable, still room for improvement in my mothers house, but not sure if worth the money for the gain I will get.

The major step forward was when I did something all the literature says I should not do, I put a thermostat in the same room as a TRV, all the stuff you read says you should not do it. My idea was to extend the time the boiler runs for, the TRV set about a degree below the thermostat.

Tail end of last season it was working well, however its not done a whole season yet, so getting clued up on what to do if it does not preform as required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back