Eudora won't send on dialup or wi-fi.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use Eudora for email. In the office, docked, it works just dandy. However on dial up or a hotel lobby wi-fi it won't send. You click "send", the blue progress bar moves across then the screen goes blank, with only the hourglass cursor. After 10 minutes you click to close Eudora down, it asks if you want to send an error report, which it does. When you reopen it your message is shown as "Q".

Our IT geek is at a loss to solve it, he has wiped Eudora and reloaded my computer with an unpaid version but it still freezes.

Eudora don't encourage you to contact them either.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Has it ever worked from a remote location?

Does the problem occur only when sending emails or also when receiving?

I should explain that this is a new laptop, a Dell Latitude. It receives emails fine through dialup or wi-fi, it's just the sending that doesn't work. Initially it had Eudora version 4 in paid mode, our IT bloke has removed that and reinstalled it in unpaid mode but still the problem persists.

Operating "docked" here at the office, it's instantaneous, sending and receiving.

It sounds like you are having a problem connecting with your SMTP server. Do you run your own at the office or use a third party?

It's normal now for isps to restrict SMTP to authenticated users and it could be that when you are dialling up, you are trying to use an SMTP server for which you are not authenticated. POP3 servers do not have the same restrictions, so you can receive email regardless of which isp you are using.

Can you provide more details of your connection methods/smtp and pop3 servers?

Sponsored Links
Igorian, I have mentioned your post to our IT bloke who replied that he knows what you are saying but this is not the problem because when I send emails on dialup I am already in our company server through something called VPN Dialler.

Does it help if I post all this, which we sent to Eudora? They have not replied, of course.

"When using Eudora anywhere away from the office, i.e. on dialup or in a hotel lobby on wi-fi, it is impossible to send emails. I compose my message and click "send". The blue progress band moves across showing transmission. Then the screen goes blank and remains blank indefinitely, with only the hourglass cursor showing. If I click to close Eudora I receive a prompt asking if I wish to send an error report. I do this, close Eudora and reopen it, only to find that my outgoing message is now shown as "Q". This is driving me mad and is a hindrance to effective business communications while out on trips.

Please provide the following information:

What operating system are you using (please provide the exact version)?

Windows XP Professional SP2

What Internet browser(s) do you have installed (please provide exact version(s))?

6.0.2900.2180_xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

What version of Eudora are you running? Which mode are you using (sponsored, paid or light)?

7.0.1.0 - Sponsored (same problem occurred with paid version of an earlier version of the software

Can you consistently duplicate the problem? If so, please list the exact steps to reproduce the problem.

Everytime I send an email while on a dialup connection or hotel wireless connection

Before sending this message, please select Insert System Configuration from the Help menu. This will put some basic information about your computer into this message, and it will attach a copy of your Eudora.ini file, minus any passwords.

----System Information
Platform: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Machine Type: Intel
System Version: 5.01.2600
Processor: Pentium Pro, II, III, or 4 Model 3328, Stepping 8
Physical RAM Installed: 1015 MB
Eudora: Version 7.0.1.0
Mode: Sponsored Mode
Registration #:
MSHTML Version: 6.00
WININET Version: 6.00"

Grateful for your help!

Can you check if port 25 is being blocked (assuming the smtp server is running on port 25)? Try it from inside and outside (vpn) the domain.

Open a command prompt and type?:

telnet domainname 25

where domainname is the name of your domain, and press <Enter>.

You may have to get your admin guys to do this. Does it connect or time out?

Igorian,

I showed your sugestion to our IT bloke who said it will work anyway and nobody else in the company is having this problem. So he has put me back on Outlook Express and tonight at home I'll try a test email through the company server.

I hope this has resolved the problem! Will let you know the result. Thanks again for your help.

RigidRaider said:
Igorian,

I showed your sugestion to our IT bloke who said it will work anyway and nobody else in the company is having this problem. So he has put me back on Outlook Express and tonight at home I'll try a test email through the company server.

I hope this has resolved the problem! Will let you know the result. Thanks again for your help.

No probs. I'm never happy assuming anything will work until I try it and the object is to narrow down the cause of why it won't work on your PC.

Tried it on dialup from home this morning and it worked fine with Outlook Express. So fingers crossed for my next overseas trip!

Thanks again for the advice - if nothing else you helped me to goad our complacent IT bloke into actually doing something!

Sponsored Links
Back