European Human Rights Act

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the tenets of this is "the right to peaceful enjoyment of property". How much leverage would this have in trying to prevent unwanted development? We have several planning applications underway in close proximity for semi-detached houses to be converted to flats.

There are already some such 'developments' in the area and they are just a mess. Rented to students and itinerants, there is no interest in the area. Cars strewn over the footpaths and verges, rubbish continually outside the properties.

Personally, I do not want to be surrounded by this mess and I believe this infringes ny rights - would this count for anything though as an objection?

Sponsored Links
It's happening all over the UK. Two Jags put out an order that any planning applications that are put forward to house more people are to be passed rather than digging up Green Belt land which is the other option. We are a tiny overcrowded country and as long as the borders are open to Poles and the like - then it will continue.

joe

Might be worth phoning your local planning dept. DG. Don't know if they would do anything or not - in my experience of them all though, they seem to turn down applications that no one has complained about and approve ones that people campaign against :rolleyes:

We have always made a point of buying houses where it is reasonably quiet traffic wise, having kids and animals etc. First house we had problems with was a close of six houses and a field of horses and cows at the end - beautiful and we paid a premium for the location.

Six months after our house was finished someone managed to get PP to build four more houses there - supposedly green belt land but if you are a local councillor it would seem you can get anything approved :cry:

Last house we lived in was on a fairly quiet estate - until the builders managed to get PP for a link road to the main road, then the trouble started - easy access for a getaway - houses being burgled and cars being nicked all the time - no trouble prior to the main road :cry:

All I can say is TRY but as I said, in my experience....

dg123 said:
One of the tenets of this is "the right to peaceful enjoyment of property".
Does this have to be one's own property, or can you choose? :D

Sponsored Links
Brightness said:
Might be worth phoning your local planning dept. DG. Don't know if they would do anything or not - in my experience of them all though, they seem to turn down applications that no one has complained about and approve ones that people campaign against :rolleyes:

We have always made a point of buying houses where it is reasonably quiet traffic wise, having kids and animals etc. First house we had problems with was a close of six houses and a field of horses and cows at the end - beautiful and we paid a premium for the location.

Six months after our house was finished someone managed to get PP to build four more houses there - supposedly green belt land but if you are a local councillor it would seem you can get anything approved :cry:

Last house we lived in was on a fairly quiet estate - until the builders managed to get PP for a link road to the main road, then the trouble started - easy access for a getaway - houses being burgled and cars being nicked all the time - no trouble prior to the main road :cry:

All I can say is TRY but as I said, in my experience....

I (and many others) have written several letters to the planners stating objections and giving supporting argument (also copied these to local councillors and MP) but it seems to me that these are simply ignored. One application had conditional approval but when the conditions couldn't be met the planners removed the conditions!!!

The area I live in is rapidily declining into bedsit land and is becoming a veritable eyesore but those in power seem apathetic to this.

Eddie M said:
dg123 said:
One of the tenets of this is "the right to peaceful enjoyment of property".
Does this have to be one's own property, or can you choose? :D

Ha ha! Good point, I think elsewhere in the act it defines this as one's own.

If it is happening start moving !! Before it is too late !! This is a one shot life no rehearsals ... :D :D

its acctually making property prices higher for the larger house 3 story with 5 bedrooms

so many in an area in HEATON newcastle are bought then converted to flats

the prices have rocketed 140 was the norm a year ago now try 230 ? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back