Evohome/Zoned Heating and 10mm Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a Potterton Powermax HE Boiler and 18 Rads across the house. Boiler is underpowered to me but that's another topic.

We're going to start installing evohome but I'm a little worried about our pipework. We have a 22mm pipe leaving the boiler so I'm guessing that goes round the house. However all the rads are piped in 10mm copper.
I've read that with evohome because it can push heat to just 1 zone/rad it makes the pressure in that 1 radiator higher than normal and can cause leaks/noise, worries me that the 22mm to 10mm drop will make it worse? Should I be concerned or am I thinking too much into it?

Also does anyone know if I can leave the Hot water on the 2 channel controller for now and just wire in the evohome to the heating? We're going to change the boiler next year so don't want to be buying the hot water evohome setup to throw it away next year

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that calms my concerns. How much noise are we talking about? I'm leaving 3 towel rads in bathrooms without TRVs so there's bypass to help prevent noise.

Also, does 10mm cap our radiators sizes? We want to make 2 rads bigger in a 7x4m living room, they're underpowered for the room when I've calculated the BTUs required.

Also, I'm going to use the main panel as a thermostat for living room with 2 rads... I assume there's no point putting the HR92s on the 2 rads in there as with any thermostat?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that calms my concerns. How much noise are we talking about? I'm leaving 3 towel rads in bathrooms without TRVs so there's bypass to help prevent noise.

Also, does 10mm cap our radiators sizes? We want to make 2 rads bigger in a 7x4m living room, they're underpowered for the room when I've calculated the BTUs required.

Impossible to say RE noise Size should be OK.

Also, I'm going to use the main panel as a thermostat for living room with 2 rads... I assume there's no point putting the HR92s on the 2 rads in there as with any thermostat?

You still need the hr92 heads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back