Evohome and Smartfit zone valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to fit Evohome in my house hopefully in time for next winter. Only problem is that I have a Smartzone valve fitted to the central heating. The hot water is controlled via a V4043 2 port valve which is connected via the pump output of the Smartzone box. I have no idea why it's been done this way I've never used Smartzone.

I'm an electrician and have wired loads of heating systems in my time, so fitting and setting up the Evohome will not be a problem for me. My question is would it be OK to manually open the Smartfit valve and leave it open, then connect the central heating relay box straight to the boiler so that if a zone calls for heat it fires up the boiler and heats that zone? The other option is to replace the Smartfit valve with a V4043.

Basically i need to know if there would be any issues with there being no zone valve on the central heating, obviously no issue with the hot water side as I can control that via the existing 2 port valve.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you do away with the zone valve for the heating, the radiators will get hot every time your hot water cylinder heats, which will mean you'll have the radiators on in the Summer. Why don't you want to use it? If you'd rather have a conventional Honeywell valve, I'm sure there are several guys on here who would happily take your SmartZone off you - they're proving rather difficult to obtain at the moment.

The radiators wouldn't get hot in the summer because I would have an Evohome trv on every radiator. The Smartfit valves are not compatible with the Evohome system, that's why I can't use it.

If you do away with the zone valve for the heating, the radiators will get hot every time your hot water cylinder heats, which will mean you'll have the radiators on in the Summer. Why don't you want to use it? If you'd rather have a conventional Honeywell valve, I'm sure there are several guys on here who would happily take your SmartZone off you - they're proving rather difficult to obtain at the moment.

You might want to bone up on how it all works ;)

Sponsored Links
Did a quick search and found the following from Furstyferret

I have a fair amount of experience with Evohome (I maintain the Windows Phone app too). It is IMHO fairly easily DIY-able provided you read the manual carefully and complete the online learning course first.

The cost of the kit will be about £1200 and plan a complete day for installation if you're going for the hot water kit too and haven't done it before. Other accessories that you might find useful are a roll of three core cable and a new 10-way wiring centre.

The wireless relays should be greater than 30cm apart, and at least 30cm from metal objects. Your mileage may vary on this, I had no option but to put mine in close proximity to both each other and the water tank and it works fine. My house is new-build so fairly flimsy but no comms issues over three stories (Evohome controller in the hall). It's running as 12 zones with 14 valves.

If you put valves on every rad and an automatic bypass valve, you can isolate the heating motorised valve and reconfigure the system with one of the BDR91s as a boiler relay. That's beneficial because you can control boiler cycle rate and minimum on time, and if you have cheap valves it gets rid of the valve noise when it closes. If normal sundial system you MUST NOT set as boiler relay 'cos it'll give you a headache and won't work properly.

Lots of people leave one radiator on a TRV in the downstairs bog or similar, the controller itself would actually work fine with no HR92 valves at all and just controlling one zone to start with; it's a system that expands nicely.

As others say, you're replacing the valve head, not the valve itself. No need to get wet.

Any questions ask here, the experts do know their stuff and are helpful. Buy from The Evohome Shop if you can. Plan things using the Honeywell System Builder. And if anything above doesn't make sense, get a professional in.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/honeywell-evohome-system.447152/#ixzz3yqFtPNo0

So I just need to see if I have an automatic bypass valve.

The heating valve is forced open and left.

There is a 240v head that fits for the hot water if you. Know where to look ;)

If you have an unvented cylinder, I hope you are one of the many G3 certified sparks?

The hot water valve is already 230v as I said above, its operated from the pump output of the Smartfit wiring centre. I did find a megaflo wiring diagram online showing how they've done it, seems necessary for the safety cutout in case the water gets too hot.

Yes I have a megaflo fitted but won't be touching that other than to replace the Smartfit sensor with the Evohome sensor.

I've looked for a 230v head replacement, where do you look for those, if you don't mind my asking, incase I decide to keep the heating valve?

Last edited:
I found a bypass valve in my airing cupboard (picture attached), so hopefully I should be able to leave the valve open?

Not my wiring by the way.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 319
I'm a bit concerned about this bypass now, in the picture above that valve seems to have been fitted on the return which dissapears into the floor. There is a T after the pump, before the zone valve which also dissapears under the floor but that could feed the bathroom radiators as they heat whenever the boiler is fired.

So what then is the valve that's marked up as the bypass? It doesn't seem to be on a pipe between flow and return.

Last edited:
Doesn't surprise me. Can't see that there is a bypass there then, should it have one as it is now? Not the sort of thing I'd fancy doing myself, changing taps is my limit and that tends to go horribly wrong!

You might want to bone up on how it all works ;)
He'd not revealed that he was looking to put HR92s on every radiator when he said that ;) "fitting Evohome" could just mean a controller and couple of stats, or only doing some rads...

Mr Robinson are you able to tell me where to go for the 230v smartfit valve head replacement?

Google is giving me nothing!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back