excess paint layers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to begin decorating my hallway (the last room to be done hoorah!). Having removed 4 layers of textured wallpaper some with glitter painted onto it i've got to prepare the doors/skirting for a new coat.

From a brief look at some of the doors/skiring there is a layer of gloss, covered by matt which had been covered again with gloss.

In an ideal world i'd rip out all of the skirting/doors and replace them but i can't afford to do it.

I want the finish to look nice as its the first 'room' you come into in my flat but i've been decorating for the past 6 months and its starting to get on my nerves!

Is it better to strip all remnants of paint and start again (and cross my fingers that the wood underneath hasn't disentegrated completely) or would it be ok to sand it all down and paint one coat of undercoat folowed by a coat of gloss?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi flo. Is the paint flaking and cracked?? this is the main reason we strip/ replace.. If its just a case of old paint runs and gobby uneveness and the paint is generally sound, consider first using a sander to level out the runs, then hand sand the rest. Then as you say undercoat and gloss. I'd go for a satinwood (low gloss) finish which will hide the imperfections a little. ;)
good luck..

ps.. satinwood is self undercoating.. so skip undercoat and use two coats of satinwood..

Thank you for your reply :)

It is 'just a case of old paint runs and gobby uneveness and the paint is generally sound' so I'll sand it as you suggest.

Thanks for letting me know that satinwood is self-undercoating :) I've already painted all the other doors/wood in the flat with undercoat and 2 coats of gloss!

At least i know for next time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back