Expansion Vessell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler kept losing pressure, we had someone service it and he said we needed a new expansion vessel, fast forward a few months and it's all fine (and didn't get one as he said fixed itself?!?)
I suspect though reason it's fine is air is trapped in top radiator upstairs. My wife wants me to bleed it but if rather she wear a hoody as suspect if we bleed it we will have problems with pressure again? I'd rather not pay out till next year if I can get away with it.

Am I right in thinking it will cause issues bleeding radiator?!

Sponsored Links
1. Expansion vessel's don't "fix themselves".
2. You are quite right to suspect that trapped air in a radiator is taking the place of the expansion vessel.
3. I wouldn't touch it until someone is booked in to replace the real expansion vessel.
4. If you do bleed it and have pressure problems again, you'll need to turn it off at both valves (remembering how many part turns to open them up again), open the bleed screw, loosen the connection to one valve (radiator side) and let water out, say 1/2 a radiator's worth. Close bleed screw, open valves and off you go again.

Sponsored Links
oldbluffer - thank you!

I didnt think they fixed themselves, he as going to put an external one in and came back and said oh it looks fine now... then said let him know if we need him again and signed off the service.

I was sure it was the top radiator taking the place as read online but obviously no expert. I will see if we can last the winter as having a new baby on the way i dont really have the cash to pay as guessing quite expensive, and also would need to make space in the cupboard for it.

Thanks for step 4, given the wife never believes a word I say, I can try this if she carries on moaning at me not fixing the radiator to prove my point. It doesnt help she was told by boiler engineer expansion vessel looks fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back