Exposed Spar Feet Rotting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house was built about 15 years ago, and it has exposed spar feet all round the building, and some of the ends have started to crack esp on south side and some are beginning to rot.

Gutter brackets are def an issue - water is tracking down these onto spar feet and that's where most of the rot problems are, that is, on spar feet with gutter brackets attached. Obviously I need to get the worst of the rotten spar feet spliced in with new timber and put hardener and anti-rot treatment on the rest.

But then, the main question is how to protect it so that it is more weather and sun-resistant. I've had quotes to fit fascias/soffits/barge boards in uPVC, but quotes from local joiners were much too expensive (need black uPVC which doesn't help).

Would it be ok if I just cut panels of uPVC fascia, just to the width of each Spar foot and a bit deeper so that drips are kept off the wood, and PVA glue them to the Spar Feet, before refitting the guttering?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back