Extend existing garage lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to feed a 2 gang light switch from 2 separate cables - each carrying live, switched live and earth?

I want to extend the existing circuit and put a second light in the garage and replace the existing 1 gang switch so the 2 lights can be switched separately.

The reason for the question is we have a 2 gang switch in the lounge for controlling the ceiling and wall lights and this has been wired in 3+E cable (I assume live and 2 switched live) with a strap between the lives.

The switch will be plastic and this is mounted on a plastic surface mounted box

I assume the earths will be joined together but the box doesn't have a terminal to put these. Is it ok to put these in a terminal block inside the accessory box?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Perfectly acceptable, just keep the wiring to the two switches separate. The two switch cables can be on the same circuit or different circuits if you wish. And yes, connect the earths together.

Cheers mate - thank you

That's my job for the weekend :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back