Adding another light fitting to existing circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I think this should be fairly simple! By my kitchen door, there is a 4 gang light switch.

Switch #1 is wired two-way (with 3 C&E) to the ceiling light above the dining area.

Switch #2 is wired two-way (with 3 C&E) to the ceiling light above the kitchen.

Switch #3 is wired one-way (with T&E) to the under cabinet lights in the kitchen.

Switch #4 is wired two-way (with 3 C&E) to the ceiling light in the utility area.

To complete the picture there is a 2 gang, 2 way switch in the dining area that also switches the ceiling lights in the kitchen and dining area, and a 3 gang switch in the utility area that also switches the ceiling light in the utility (together with switching the outdoor lights).

All the switches are wired with the loop in the switch.

I need to add an extra cabinet light into the under cabinet lighting circuit (switch #3 in the main 4 gang switch). Handily enough, the position of this cabinet light, or at least the transformer for it, is about 30cm above the light switch.

The way I see it, I have two ways of splicing into this.

1) Cut the existing cable going to the existing under cabinet lights (this cable passes directly behind the new light position in the stud wall). Connect the one end of live conductor to live on the new fitting and the other end of the live conductor to neutral on the new fitting (with some black sleevinng over it?). Obviously join the two ends of the neutral together and the two ends of the earth together (there's no earth terminal on the new transformer).

2) Drop a short length of T&E from the new light position to the switch, connect the live of this into the load terminal of the switch, and the neutral and earths into the respective existing loops (which are choc blocks within the switch box).

Does this sound correct?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
1, is incorrect. You would be putting the two lamps in series.

2, is the way to go.

or people tend to fit round junction boxes next to the light under the cabinett.

Use that the connect to the existing cable, but the new light

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back