extending an extension upwards to 2nd floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm buying a 3 bed detatched building with a single story extension.

The 3 bed is identical to other 3 bed terraces in the street, and the extension was built at same time (1970s) as house and the building was used as a doctors surgery.

I'm looking to get change of use to residential.

I'm in the North East, the building is on a council estate, nice enough, simple design, modest costs , 3 bed house worth maybe 80k in nice condition.

The 3 bed house has a pitched roof with gable ends and the extension a flat roof.

I know i need change of use and planning permission etc.

The house is measures 8.7m x 5.9m.

The extension is directly in line with main house and measures 6.4m x 5.9m.

I'm looking for simple, no frills build with an eye on the budget, aimed at rental or FTB market.

The extension is a bit small for a one bed flat, so I was thinking converting to a good sized 2 bed house or a one bed dormer bungalow.

Does anyone have an idea, if it is feasable to add a second storey and continue the pitched roof, and have a ballbark figure for cost, i.e for to get a watertight shell and excluding fitting out.

Alternatively, the feasability of adding a pitched roof with a dormer/ attic bedroom.

Oh, and I was hoping to leave groundfloor open plan, ie no supporting walls, is that feasable for this sixe ?

Costs I'm looking for are for are for a single company to do brick / block work, new roof, upstairs/ dormer windows, gutters , soffits fascia, etc. inclusive of labour, materials, scaffolding etc.

I've bought many BTL properties which I've renovated, sometimes extensively, but have no experience of getting builders in for building walls and roofs.

I can estimate the costs of electrics, plumbing, studwork, plastering and fitting out myself from experience.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back