extending brick wall with plaster board (and tiling advice)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall with a step in it which I would like to make level. The slight loss of space is worth it to ease fitting a kitchen!

I will be bricking up the door you can see in the picture so the new bit of wall will run past there.

I was planning on extending it with some stud work and plaster board but wondered what the best way of joining the two up is.

As far as I can tell the options are:
1.Install plasterboard so it is flush with existing wall tape and skim the lot
2.Install stud work flush with wall and board over the whole lot. (Screw or glue board onto existing base coat or remove base coat and start from brick?)

Also the original skim coat has come off the existing wall where tiles were removed. Would you cover the base coat in PVA before skimming if option 1. (Its fairly dusty but completely solid.

I'd probably have a go at DIYing all of it seeing as most of it will be hidden my units / tiled over so least likely to go wrong option is preferable.

Any better solutions?

Attachments

• IMG_20160906_190455.jpg
    IMG_20160906_190455.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 164
Sponsored Links
The jog out thats boxed in - is it carrying pipework or could it be removed, and your wall pulled back level?
The coved bump-out at the top where you've opened up is a bulkhead for the stairs - it shouldn't get in the way of wall units.

It's a brick wall presumably provide some lateral support to the external wall? But not supporting anything above

. I'd rather move it if safe to do so?.

Here is a picture from the other side and you can see the step in the understair cupboard.
It has the consumer unit on the wall but moving that is fine. And that window only goes into a garage so won't be missed.

I can't get my head around why it's built like. Must be harder to put the step in than build it straight!.

Attachments

• IMG_20160906_190602.jpg
    IMG_20160906_190602.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
There are fire Regs to be considered when you expose the underside of a flight of stairs,
I cant comment on how or if the wall supports the stairs or anything else.
It wouldn't be economical to move the elec apparatus.

Perhaps pull out the wall to be in plane with the jog out - do it with a stud wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back