extending rad tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
going to replace a 960 wide rad with a 900 , i was going to use 2 telescopic tail extenders but read quite a few people had prblems with them leaking, then i came across this idea on another forum wich sounds ideal for what i want to do .

Just get straight 15mm chrome compression couplings remove nut from one side and screw straight into radiator tapping with a bit of ptfe tape on thread then go straight to 15mm chrome pipework on other end linking to valve

Little tip,it may be easier to put the small piece of chrome pipe in the coupling first,then you can use the chrome nut on the fitting to turn fitting into radiator thread
[/color]
The only problem i can see is that there is not as much thread on the coupler as on the original tail . i could screw the coupler onto the tail but that doesnt look as neat.
What are your thoughts on doing it this way ?

Sponsored Links
pete, have you used the method i described ?

what have you got screwed in the rad ?

Sponsored Links
You can buy either tail extensions or extra long tails that you then cut back with a hacksaw to size.

The idea you give isn't bad with a mail iron, but your only 30 mm short and so with less flaffing I would do as above.

I wouldn't extend too far, I would rather lift the floor and alter, preferable, or alter above floor to suit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back