Extending wall light wires safely

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by badger2021, 1 Sep 2021.

1. badger2021

badger2021

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’m having acoustic slate all panels to a living room wall that has wall light fittings.

25mm batons have been fitted and 25mm rockwool will be inserted then the gap and the slat wall panels finally attached to the outside.

What is the recommended way to extend the wires coming out of the wall? E.g a box to put the cable joins in?

would need to be 25mm deep I guess to allow the panels to sit flush onto the batons.

many thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Sep 2021
  2. markyd1

markyd1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. plugwash

plugwash

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I see two options.

One is to make a maintenance free joint, that generally means an approved maintenance free junction box. The wagobox markyd1 linked is one option but it's on the bulky side and needs a fair bit of wire length so you would likely need to hack off some plaster to make room. A hager/ashley J503 is a bit slimmer but still quite bulky and needs a fair bit of length on the wire so some hacking at the wall would be needed.

The other option would be to put a back box of some sort behind the wall light, the connections would then be accessible by removing the wall light so you wouldn't need to worry about the maintenance free BS. A round "conduit box" may well be a good option, measure the distance between the fixing holes on your lights and see if it matches the 2 inch fixing centers of a conduit box.

• Like Like x 1
  5. curry-kid

curry-kid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Soldered and crimp joints are also maintenance free but you would also have to consider proper insulation and mechanical protection.
    As markyd and plugwash above say, you would probably be better off using the a maintenance free junction box.

6. Sponsored Links