Extension Coming away? Decision by tomorrow :-/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I viewed a house today,we knew it would need work and expected to take it back to a shell and start from scratch.
However it has had an extension put on many many years ago.
Whilst viewing it there was a crack up the corner, alonng the ceiling, across the ceiling in the hall and down the other party wall. The crack has been sealed but it was approx 5-10mm wide. It is as though the extension in 'coming away' from the house.
There was damp stains on the ceiling in this area too.

We dont have time to get surveyors in as a final and best offer needs to go in tomorrow......is this going to be a big job to rectify? It is a mid terrace.

Thanks!! - pics below

//media.diynot.com/228000_227904_91898_72182600_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/228000_227904_91899_81083745_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/228000_227904_91900_95167996_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks as though the extension is falling away from the main house. I am pessimistic and say that it needs some underpinning work plus making good the external crack, which you did not show but must be where the water is getting in. I would allow £5K for repairs. Is the house at a bargain price?
Frank

I don't have any external photos of the cracks im afraid as it's a mid terrace and they are on the party walls.
I couldn't really get a great view of the roof at the back either as the back lane isn't wide enough to step back

Yeah it's around 20k cheaper than others in the street but it needs a FULL refurb too - new bathroom kitchen heating etc

Thanks for the advice :)

Sponsored Links
Does the neighbour also have an extension?

A pic of the rear elevations/extensions of both properties would help?

AAMOI: your posted pics are unhelpful - they are too tiny and wont open up.

The neighbour's have possibly also had cracks have you asked?

True extensions, not outriggers, are joined to the main house by keying-in the bricks, or butting up with a vertical mortar joint, or using metal starter tie-ins.
Often cracks can appear because of incorrect installation or selection of the best method of joining the extn to the house.

Have any knock-thro's taken place or any other significant building work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back