Extension - man hours for walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have finished clearing the site for a 3x7m single storey extension and I have got a quote for building the walls, foundations and floors. The extension is attached to the house on two sides so the total length of walls to be built are about 12m.

We have been given 5 grand labour, this is to excavate, put in the foundations, slab for the floor and the walls.

This is for 3 guys to work for 10 days(in Newbury, Berkshire).

This seems a bit excessive to me, but I have no frame of reference!

What do people think?

Sponsored Links
exessive in man hours, assuming 3 guys, 10 days... If I imagine 30 days work.
I feel like 12m of footings and 7x3m floor shouldn't take more then 4 days to dig out.
a day to extend an underground waste pipe a meter and a half.
putting the concrete in, then doing the main slab/dpm/insulation etc, maybe a week.
putting up the 2.5m by 12m of cavity wall, tying in to other walls, maybe a week and a half?

I feel like that's around 22 days. Then an extra 3 days because everything always takes longer.

But I feel this is me putting really quite high estimates on it and it still only brings me to 25 days.
For example the wall should be around 1900 bricks which should be about 4 days, the block work faster so a week and a half feels generous.

I am going to go through this with him but I wanted someone with more know how then me to see if this feels right to them.

Its REALLY hard to judge how long things take. I am sure I may be underestimating.

Sponsored Links
I personally don't think its excessive , In fact I would go so far as to say its probably a bit on the cheap side
BUT I haven't seen the drawings .the site or the Ground or materials or kit so I honestly couldn't say if its good or bad for sure

exessive in man hours, assuming 3 guys, 10 days... If I imagine 30 days work.
I feel like 12m of footings and 7x3m floor shouldn't take more then 4 days to dig out.
a day to extend an underground waste pipe a meter and a half.
putting the concrete in, then doing the main slab/dpm/insulation etc, maybe a week.
putting up the 2.5m by 12m of cavity wall, tying in to other walls, maybe a week and a half?

I feel like that's around 22 days. Then an extra 3 days because everything always takes longer.

But I feel this is me putting really quite high estimates on it and it still only brings me to 25 days.
For example the wall should be around 1900 bricks which should be about 4 days, the block work faster so a week and a half feels generous.

I am going to go through this with him but I wanted someone with more know how then me to see if this feels right to them.

Its REALLY hard to judge how long things take. I am sure I may be underestimating.
Why don't you just hire a mini digger with a driver to dig out the footings? He'll do it in a day & charge about £300, then hire a couple of brick layers for a week or two @ £150 a day each ask them if they'll oversee pouring of the concrete for you too & pay them for it. Cut out the middle man & you'll save a grand or two

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back