Extension- side window considerations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have jsut bought a victorian cottage and are considering putting a 2 story extension into the side return to create an upstairs bathroom. Currently there are 3 bedrooms- one of which has a window looks out into the garden and the area we would plan to extend into. If we do this that bedroom would therefore lose that window and we were wondering whether it would be possible to move that window into the side wall. It is a semi detached and next door there is a block of flats about 4 feet away. there is a side window in this which i worry would look straight into the new window we are propsing- i am not sure whether this is a good thing for precedent or whether it would cause more problems for privacy... I am not sure if this window is in a room or in an internal staircase. Also blocking up the back window and having just one window in the side may cause big light issues too?
I suspect when most people do this kind of extension they move the bathroom into this room and have the 2 bedrooms on the back- however in this case the house is on lots of different levels and moving the bathroom here would mean we would lose a decent size double and end up with an odd shape single with stairs through the middle of the room!!Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back