Windows and trickle vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long post.

I am in the process of ordering the windows for my loft conversion and extension and have been asked about trickle vents.

Now honestly I hate them, but understand that they are now compulsory in new extensions for building regulations.

The house is a solid brick wall bungalow with existing loft conversion. Upstairs we have a window to the front and rear. We will be extending over the hip roof and adding a gable end with rear dormer, so technically the only new room upstairs would be the 1st floor bathroom, although the bedroom will be made larger.
We are also adding a small side extension with shower room. This will also have a small window with opening fanlight and extractor fan.
There are no trickle vents currently in any windows although the house does have an open fireplace taking all the nice warm air out. This will be replaced shortly with a wood burner.

The house has suffered with condensaiotn in the past due to lack of bathroom/kitchen extraction which is being resolved.

My question is firstly, are trickle vents required in new bathrooms, given that it would have opening windows and an extractor fan?

Secondly, how do I determine if they are required in the existing ground floor rooms, specifically two front bedrooms with large bow windows?

Any advice welcome

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back