Air ventilation bricks between floors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a basement with air brick ventilation, but am about to have it excavated to add a further floor and useable rooms to my house.
I’m assuming I can remove the air bricks as ventilation isn’t required between floors of useable rooms. Am I right?
There are no air vents between the existing 2 floors, and the new basement rooms will have an extractor in the new bathroom and trickle vents/opening windows in all rooms.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Basements are very prone to damp so the more ventilation they have, the better.

Rather than thinking of ways to reduce airflow, you should be searching for ways to improve it.

The air bricks are to vent the sub-floor void to prevent timber joists rotting. Yes, if the sub-floor is converted to an actual room then there is no need to vent the new floor void (ie the gap beyween ceiling and floorboards),but you will need adequate ventilation of the newly created rooms - and trickle vents and and extractor may be inadequate for a basement environment.

Basements are very prone to damp so the more ventilation they have, the better.

Rather than thinking of ways to reduce airflow, you should be searching for ways to improve it.

The basement is being professionally renovated and will have sufficient other ventilation in accordance with Building Reg's, but want to avoid a huge cold cavity between floors, so wondering if the air bricks have to stay (as there are none between other floors)? I'd much rather my heat seep up through the house.

Sponsored Links
The air bricks are to vent the sub-floor void to prevent timber joists rotting. Yes, if the sub-floor is converted to an actual room then there is no need to vent the new floor void (ie the gap beyween ceiling and floorboards),but you will need adequate ventilation of the newly created rooms - and trickle vents and and extractor may be inadequate for a basement environment.
Thanks for your input. Will discuss further in room ventilation with Building Control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back