New windows without trickle vents - future problems?

The other difficulty is that 8,000mm2 is a big area for trickle vents- I've fitted 2 to my new upstairs window and I don't think they're enough to meet the requirements. Downstairs I have aluminium bi-folds so I've fitted a louvre and air brick above:

IMG_20230509_120925804_HDR.jpg

I find it odd that the requirement is the same, for a 4sqm box room or a 40sqm open plan extension!

Sponsored Links
It's open to interpretation from what I understand. Old drafty windows replaced with air tight uPVC is not like for like with regards to air circulation. Seen this discussed on YouTube recently. Anyway not my area so maybe I should not have commented.
Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to be disparaging - I was only trying to show how difficult it may be for someone like the OP to come to a conclusion, when there is conflicting information out there - sometimes from sources (like window manufacturers) that should know better.

I.e. a first Google search hit:

Screenshot_20230509-131001_Chrome.jpg

...although in effect, it is likely that replacement windows would require trickle vents to meet the regs.

Yeah, very confusing subject. Ultimately I don't have any fitted in my new windows, looking to get a certificate from the fitter under the competent person scheme to see if I can

Ultimately, It'll only be an issue if I come to sell, so guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Only new houses or new extensions require trickle vents. Your fine.
My installer told me if you areplacing double glazed units that DO NOT have vent, then the new windows do not need. If they were single glazed they must have vents.
I replaced wooden DG for UPVC DG.

Sponsored Links
How will anyone know what windows were fitted prior to new ones? How will they know if trickle vents needed to be fitted? I replaced all my double glazed units to pass building regs and fitted trickle vents to an old kitchen window having extended the kitchen. Nobody looked at any of it.

My installer told me if you areplacing double glazed units that DO NOT have vent, then the new windows do not need. If they were single glazed they must have vents.
I replaced wooden DG for UPVC DG.
He's not quite right, read the legislation, I daresay he's just being pragmatic to ensure he's able to issue a certificate.

How will anyone know what windows were fitted prior to new ones? How will they know if trickle vents needed to be fitted? I replaced all my double glazed units to pass building regs and fitted trickle vents to an old kitchen window having extended the kitchen. Nobody looked at any of it.
I think solicitors can request it as part of a sale. I know when I bought the property the seller had to provide a fensa certificate for the door they had fitted.

The main obvious tell is the glass, as it has the manufacture year printed inside the panel

I want to install MVHR in my refurb. Will I be able/allowed to habe windows without trickle vents?

Regards

Tet

Yes.

Wherever the requirement for ventilation is relevant, there are several ways to meet the requirement, not just as is often repeated around the internet via trickle vents

Can't you get him to retro fit vents?

If it makes life easier, you pay for the vents, he fits them at his cost. They aren't expensive. He will probably just drill a series of holes to let the air pass through the vents.

I know nothing about the fellow and don't want to malign him. There are some good tradesmen on those kind of sites, but there are also a lot of conmen on them (again, I am not saying that he is one).

Hello all, small update on my side. The window fitter is completing a CERTASS self certification for my windows being fitted, so looks like it is all fine with regards to my windows not having trickle vents and acquiring building regulations certification. Just waiting for final paperwork, but it all seems above board

My bungalow has some with and some without. If anyone wants to argue they can take it up with my executor I really don't give a sh1t.

Hello every one
I am in the proccess of changing windows. I have been told the BR's changed in June 2022 and that trickle vents are required full stop.
I have triedto find if this is guidance or legal.

the window company say I have no choice and all windows must have trickle vent which are constatly open. My house is constaly hit with wind, rain etc etc full on. currently I have wood single galezed windows NO VENTS upstairs or downstairs except for the Lounge only.
I was also told thay they have to be fitted because of damp!! and mold etc. also so people can breathe!!

I've never had mold or damp ever and my house is 35 years old...

But a question the measurements quoted what do they relate to size of room or size of window or something else ???

My bedroom window is rotting outside from elements and neglect. I would prefer wood replacement but having difficuly finding people..

Sorry for the long post but so confused but would really love to know what and how the sizes for vents work.

thank you all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back