Extention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to get an extension built. I live in London. I got the following quote and I would be grateful if you could give me some feedback about the price, whether you think it is reasonable

Kitchen
-Disconnect existing kitchen units, take of floor covering £290
-Take dawn brick wall forming toilet outside and crick up the doorway with necessary dpc match up £430
-Make good the walls allowing for final finishes:painting,allow for plastering £340
-Replace existing ceiling with new one with plastered finish £350
-Painting all walls and ceilings £290
-Rewire the kitchen sockets and lighting circuit allowing for six spotlight on the ceiling and upgrade of consumer unit £770
-Alteration to plumbing £280
-Reinforce floor with ditra matt and tile with slates supplied by client £460 (all surface before kitchen goes in)
-fit kitchen units, apliences,worktops £1560
-Create new structural opening at the back of the kitchen enlarging back wall opening going to extension, including installation of 203/203 uc46 steel beams£1360
-Coast of skip £200
Total: £6330+vat
Back Extension
Form strip foundation 3mtrs long away from the house and 3mtrs width 1000mm deep and 600mm wide with c4 concreate £2300(dig soil out to required depth ,prepare underpinning of two corners of the house.
-build two curses of engineering bricks up to 150mm above the ground then fit damp curse protection, before the blocks go on £1100
-build walls using 200mm Thermalite blocks , with opening for French door at the back(with necessary structural opening over the doors catnic c71) ,fit 40mm kingspan to outer side of the walls with over lay of cedar thermal clading £3090
Form flat roof with opening for flush glazed panel with insulated curb and polymeric resin finish on the top of warm deck roof(type of the roof where 100mm of kingspan insulation goes on the top of the roof)fit all necessary lead flushing along joint of the roof and masonry wall £2390 price for the glazed panel to be confirmed once the size is confirmed
Form insulated concrete slab to match the floor high in the existing kitchen(concreate floor with 3mm damp membrane and 100mm of king span insulation with overlay of 70mm of concreate .£1730
-Fit dac and dub plasterboards on the walls and ceiling £1160
-plaster the walls and ceiling £1050
-allow for extending electrics £680
-allow for extending central heating £630

fit scirtings around newly formed walls £320

- -provide skips for duration of works £880
- total:£15,330+vat

Sponsored Links
Seems cheap, especially for London although french doors and rooflight not included. Details on quote are a bit brief although the basics seem to be covered.

Make sure you check references etc. thoroughly.

Forgot to say...always get at least 3 quotes.

Sponsored Links
What do your other two quotes say?
My mistake. It should have said quote rather than quotes. I got a second quote for the kitchen which was cheaper but the builder disappeared off the face of the earth :rolleyes:
Well you need to get two more.

How big is the extension, is he quoting from proper drawings or from planning drawings of you both just had a chat?

freddymercurystwin";p="3236837 said:
How big is the extension, is he quoting from proper drawings or from planning drawings of you both just had a chat?
There isn't a paper drawing but I am quite clear what I want done. As far as getting other quotes, i have had great difficulties getting someone who appears reliable to give a quote.

Yukster";p="3236840 said:
There isn't a paper drawing but I am quite clear what I want done. As far as getting other quotes, i have had great difficulties getting someone who appears reliable to give a quote.

That's why you are struggling to get quotes. You are effectively asking the builders to design the extension for you and they probably wont even get the job. It would seem the one builder who submitted a quote has just done a cut and paste job from a previous project. Fingers crossed that the items he has priced for such as the steel beam, area of glazing and U value calculations etc. are suitable for your project. How up to date is their PI insurance?

Why not just bite the bullet and get an architectural designer to do some Building Regulations drawings. Spending £1000 or so now could save considerably more in the long run. It also ensures that the "clear ideas" you have are properly conveyed to the builder eliminating the risk of misunderstandings and expensive extras.

Then the builders are ****ing in the air. Some good builders I know will not even bother quoting unless they have some Regs drawings to price from. They don't need to they are always busy. Not only does it demonstrate to the builder that you are serious but they become your contract documents. Your builder mentioned underpinning and fitting steel beams, who is paying the SE to design these items?

Please keep in mind that i am the customer, not the expert builder. I wouldn't be asking for your advice if had the answers to all these pertinent questions. I now realise that I need to get some drawings done so that's cool. So who produces the drawings? Are you saying i need to get an architect to design the project?

Do you need planning permission for this extension?

If so, normally you'd get someone (not neccesserily a full blown architect) to do the drawings which the council will require, and these can double up as the ones your builder will work from.

If not, you may be able to get away without getting drawings made, but I would probably do some yourself and get the builder to view & agree to them just so there's little room for misunderstanding. That's on the assumption the project is somewhat simple though.

If it's quite complex then drawings might be worthwhile/neccessary.

I don't need planning permission and the project isn't too complex. I've got another builder coming tonight so I will make a drawing before the he comes.
The builder who gave me the first quote designed the underpinning. Is that adequate of does it need to be done by someone else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back