Exterior (entry) door is splitting - circa 1920's - tudor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Tudor-style front (exterior) wood door on my house - circa 1928. It looks like a castle-type door with an arched top and flat black hardware, etc.

At the bottom, some of the wood planks have started splitting / cracking. Most of the splits are about 3"-4" long cracks that are max of 1/16" wide, but one crack is over 12" and is about 1/4" wide. This is also happening at the top a little too.

Last summer I stripped off all of the brown paint that was badly flaking and chipping on the door. It had only a single coat of paint on it and it wasn't done very well. I found out that the wood was in good shape under the paint, so I stained the door and coated with Mixwax Helmsman Spar Urethane (Exterior). I put on about 4 coats, inside and outside. The door looked fantastic.

At that time there already were several cracks on the bottom of the door. Some had been filled with wood filler or putty. Most splits were visible, but closed.

So, my question is, what is causing this and what should I do?

Its possible this has something to do with the unusually bitter cold winter we've had here in the Boston (USA) area. If so, I would assume this is temporary and nothing to worry about.

If not, then I need to do something to stop this so that the door doesn't disintegrate. I don't want to replace it, as I'm sure that would be several thousand dollar expense.

Any ideas from the exterior wood experts out there?

Thanks,
Pete

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back