Exterior Light : Existing Circuit : Wire Into This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install an exterior light at the back of the house. There's an existing wire that used to power our old boiler, which was in the adjoining coal house. The reason I'd like to use this wire is that it's already in place and passes from the attic and out through the eaves. The plumbers must have killed it when they installed the new boiler inside, as it ends in a junction box. I've checked the circuit board and there's a fuse labelled for exterior lights. Recently we employed an electrician who installed a new exterior light, round the side not far from where I'd like the new light. Can I simply wire into this circuit using a junction? Or find the junction leading to this light and wire into that?

Sponsored Links
Your explanation does not really tell anyone what you have now, nor does it tell use your ability, or location, so if in Wales for example outside in the garden is considered a special location and needs a scheme member to do the work, or pay the council last time I looked £100 plus vat.

In the main with a DIY forum we do not consider the law, or rule book, if we did we would always be saying no you can't do that, so try to explain a little better what you want.

Recently we employed an electrician who installed a new exterior light, round the side not far from where I'd like the new light.
So do you want to move it or add to it? Try a photo, it would seem likely you can extend, but need more info.

It's a simple security light with sensor. Will be situated on the eaves of the coal house/garden room. England. Have a little experience of wiring, but not much.

This will be a completely new light.

The existing wire Comes out through eaves (is a bungalow). This my my main reason for wanting to use it - me not having to get a wire out/in through the eaves. It is currently dead.

I'm asking if I can simply wire this into the other security light's (situated around the corner) circuit. I haven't located it yet, but will be in the attic.

I'm asking if I can simply wire this into the other security light's (situated around the corner) circuit.
Depends on how it is wired, if the L&N on the other light are permanently on then you should be OK. If they are switched lives, then your new light might only operate when the other is on.

You'll need to do a bit of testing.

Sponsored Links
Have just looked in the attic. I think I'm going to employ an electrician. I have to hand it to you electricians - you really earn your money!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back