Exterior paint for an old house?

Sponsored Links
You would either make and paint on a whitewash or a lime wash.

PS - Painted brick and stone should be banned, looks fecking dreadful.

Hi
I am looking to paint the outside walls of my house. The house was built around 1862 and the walls are sandstone, so the house needs to breathe. I am led to belive that modern paints which claim to be breathable are not suitable for my house, (i.e. https://www.heritage-house.org/stuff-about-old-buildings/what-paint-to-use.html)

Can anyone recommend a suitable paint or brand i can use?

Thanks
Expensive but by all accounts ,very good I know a property that was painted with it in the late 80's which has not peeled.

https://www.celticsustainables.co.uk/keim-soldalit-exterior-silicate-paint/

Sponsored Links
I accept that I am (possibly) being unfair and overly cynical but those classes of paint remind of the rip off
Schrijver damp proofing system.

I have never used the paints but I find it hard to believe that generations of professional decorators or specifiers were hoodwinked by the likes of Dulux et al.

Is it a cynical way of looking at it to think the paint may be so good that once it was applied by a decorator there would be no repeat work in the years to come or is that just being naive ?

Is it a cynical way of looking at it to think the paint may be so good that once it was applied by a decorator there would be no repeat work in the years to come or is that just being naive ?

You mean like the fabled ever lasting light bulb, the rights to which were purchased so that they would never come to the market. S'funny how no one has ever managed to find the (now expired) patent.

I don't buy that either.

I accept that I am (possibly) being unfair and overly cynical but those classes of paint remind of the rip off
Schrijver damp proofing system.

I have never used the paints but I find it hard to believe that generations of professional decorators or specifiers were hoodwinked by the likes of Dulux et al.

Decorators want easy to use cheap products that won't last forever, meaning their work doesn't dry up. Inferior modern paints are ideal for them.

Decorators want easy to use cheap products that won't last forever, meaning their work doesn't dry up. Inferior modern paints are ideal for them.

They may be true of some decorators but many of us want to provide a job that lasts.

The job that I am doing at the moment, I am using (expensive) epoxy resin wood hardener and filler. I could finish the job much faster with cheaper products but I want my client's windows to last as long as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back