Masonry Paint: What to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have quite an old sandstone and brick house (rendered in pebble dash with worn paint). There is evidence of penetrating damp and condensation on the inside. I'm looking to paint the outside with something water repellent and highly breathable.
Emperor paints make some bold statements and say that they're better than other masonry paints (https://emperorpaint.co.uk/exterior-wall-protection), but it's also v.expensive!
Has anyone here tried this? Is it worth the money? I've not seen any side-by-side testing.
Other recommendations for masonry paint also welcome!
Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I believe its silicone base so frowned upon by traditional building folks....If you have a traditional property thats been rendered with portland cement then theres not much point in using other than modern masonry paint.
It's a 70's build with paint on the brickwork directly - so I presume fine?

Can I ask, if the bricks gave been painted why aren't you painting again
I want to make sure that I'm putting the best product possible on. Unsure what previous owners used so am taking as much off as I can before re-painting. Emperor seems to have excellent breathability so was going to choose that, on the pretense that it's better than standard acrylic-bases masonry paint form b&q

I want to make sure that I'm putting the best product possible on. Unsure what previous owners used so am taking as much off as I can before re-painting. Emperor seems to have excellent breathability so was going to choose that, on the pretense that it's better than standard acrylic-bases masonry paint form b&q
This stuff is brilliant and can be mixed to any Dulux or F&B colour through a Brewers DC .I did some tests by painting it on a flat wheel barrow inner tube and once dry inflated it .....the paint remained sound even though it stretched quite a bit https://www.promain.co.uk/extra-flex-masonry-paint.html
Edit. Assuming it did which Im not convinced it is, why would you need breathability on a 70’s cavity wall?

Last edited:
I believe its silicone base so frowned upon by traditional building folks....If you have a traditional property thats been rendered with portland cement then theres not much point in using other than modern masonry paint.
Can you explain why it's frowned upon?
And why no point in using over render?

You would be paying a premium for a so called breathable product to cover cement render which itself isn't breathable .
Thanks but what about the water repellent properties of silicone paint - are they not worth something on render ?

You won’t get much better the Bedec for keeping water out

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpeg
    IMG_0101.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 18

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back