Spraying Masonry Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to spray my house with masonry paint (don’t know what brand yet would like advice on that too). The masonry is pebble type and has an old coat of paint that is NOT peeling it just has a powdery touch. I have some damp upstairs in my old circa 1800 house and suspect a break down in the paint has helped to cause this as there was not many traces of the problem when we moved in and stripped the whole thing out and decorated the interior (work in progress but that’s another story). Walls are two foot thick and suspect they are stone as they are hard as hell to drill. Back to topic, gutting is all good no breakdowns in the masonry other that the odd little crack that can be repaired before painting.

Q1. How do I prep the surface?
Q2. What sprayer etc should I purchase?
Q3. How easy is the spraying part
Q4. how many coats are required
Q5. Please list any components I need to do the job including best paint etc.

I am a DIY sort of guy (handy with a hammer) but I don’t have much experience with exterior paint.

All assistance is much appreciated.

Rob

Sponsored Links
I don't know.

But, masonry paint is thick and you would need a powerful airless sprayer with tube feed. You may do better to hire it. Of course will will have to mask off and protect the things underneath, including your neighbours' cars.

If you consult the paintmakers websites (e.g. Dulux, Sandtex) they will have guidance.

1.....It sounds like it will need pressure washing and stabilising first..(DONT ATTEMPT TO SPRAY THE STABILISER!!)

2....As John says, an airless..want to buy one?..a Graco 495 will only set you back about 1,700 quid :rolleyes: hire one...but be warned, it takes a lot of experience to be able to use one well...and on an outside you'l have to wait for a complete windless day..even then theres a fair chances that the overspray could travel a god 100 yards..I wouldnt touch an airless in a built up area......oh and if the jet peirces your skin youl have about half an hour to get emergency treatment..otherwise its a slow an painful death..

3...See above!

4...As many as it will take to cover the existing colour..id say a minimum of two.

5...Best paint..my preference is Crown Stronghold...Leyland is quite good too apparently IMO Dulux is like ****!

Rob...put a lot of thought into this, it could end up an expensive waste of your time..ailess spray machines are not for the untrained beleive me.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys i am now thinking of just a brush and roller as this all seems a bit much. what is the best thing to do with the stabaliser? mix it in with the first coat?

Also what is the best sort and where can i get it from? how much do i need to ut in er ltr of paint?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back