Masonry Paint Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just painted a brick outhouse with B&Q white masonry paint.

The outhouse hadn't been painted for about twenty years and was about half bare brick. I removed all the loose old paint with a stiff broom and have given it two decent coats of the masonry paint a day apart.

In some areas the new paint has already cracked and come unstuck to reveal the old paint and brick underneath - it looks almost like a crackle-finish paint which has crackled too much.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? Could algae or fungal growth be to blame? There was a hint of some sort of light orange-brown dusting on some of the old paint.

Sponsored Links
Outhouses years ago were coated with Lime wash to deter against the amonia smell. This could have reacted with the emulsion. Might have been an idea to thoroughly scrape the walls and apply a coat of stabilsing solution to fasten back the powdery surface.

Think Robbie is spot on. I repointed some of this outhouse but some still had the lime mortar. Only parts of the paint bubbled up - took a few years, but it's exactly over the old mortar joints.

I put stabiliser on all the exposed parts and then did a few coats of Wickes masonry paint. No problems since.

Thanks - it's splitting on the brick, not the mortar. I'll try to get a picture.

I imagine I'll be doing it all over again with fungicide and stabiliser ...

Sponsored Links
This outhouse had never had lime wash, only lime mortar. Yes, now your remind me. I had part where there were some strange fungus type growths, and bubbling, blistering all over the brick but not on the wall shown. Possibly where the lime had sort of dribbled out of the mortar. I scraped them off and put neat bleach all over the affected place (can't remember if I rinsed it off - probably not), left to dry, did it again, left to dry. Then I put the stabiliser on before the paint. Fine now.

Sorry to say, but think you will have to start again! :cry:

To be fair i tend not to use own brand masonry paint because it usually doesnt cover very well. The lower price usually means some of the more expensive ingredients are missing.

Quite possibly - it looks even worse today. I'l leave it a week and start again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back