Exterior paint needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got the lovely task of painting the outside of my house to do before the winter kicks in!

It's a white rendered house and there's parts where crack have appeared of the render is a bit ruff. I've made good of the cracks and made it look as good as possible all ready for the lick of paint I want to give it.

I'm gong to use a scrapper and give it a quick scrap to get rid of ruff spots or flakey paint before painting.

Because our house is pretty big and it's an end of terrace we've got a large are to paint. I've looked on ebay for paint and found stuff a lot cheaper than B&Q, homebase etc. What sort of paint would people use? Should I stick to brand? Does anyone know a good cheap online place to get the paint from? I don't really want to spend a fortune on the paint.

I also need a shiney paint to do the window ledges as these are picked out in a glossy back paint.

Thanks for you help

Sponsored Links
That shower tray went in quick ;)

Personal preference is for Johnsons (masonry) paint. And the black shiney paint is called "Black Gloss" in the trade :LOL:

Using cheap paint really is fools gold - you'll only have to do it again next year, and in the long run you'll have wasted money and time.

I only use Crown Stronghold or Dulux Weathershield & only buy from a trade outlet if you want the best .
Crown & Dulux from DIY outlets such as B&Q , Homebase etc. are NOT the same as product as from trade shops such as Brewers or Dulux centres,
Johnsons trade (from a trade shop ) will be a better choice than anything from a DIY store too.
You get what you pay for !

So the black paint is just regular common 'Black Gloss Paint' that's needed?

I realise it's called 'gloss' but I was wondering what brand/sort of paint to use for it.

No the rest of my work in the en suite isn't completed yet I just wanted to get a budget together for the materials for the exterior work and then try to get saving for the paint.

We have a brewers & decorators warehouse in our town.

Johnsons, Crown stronghold or Dulux weathershield are all good are they?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You are better off with black Weathershield IMO.

If you can get to Brewers then if budget will allow then go for Dulux Weathershield (expensive at about £32 per 5Lt) or Crown Stronghold ( about £24 per 5Lt ) is almost as good ..
Brewers dont stock Johnsons but they stock an alternative 'budget' paint Gliddens (around £18 per 5Lt) , Ive not used it myself but if Brewers stock it it must be OK - better than DIY paint anyhow!

When you get to Brewers ask to open a 'cash account' its free & will give you 15-20% discount on all purchases !

I'd do what Joe-90 says on the sills ;)

Just got the scaffolding up to do this job myself when we get a break in the weather that is.

I've quite a bit to paint (3 storey double fronted house) and was looking at buying the paint from B&Q as they have a 3 for price of 2 at the moment on all masonry paint (weathershield etc). Are the paints so different that it's such a false economy? The thought of buying 25 litres at full price is a little daunting

They all give a 15 year guarantee so they can't be that bad.

I allways steer clear of B&Q's/Homebase Dulux but saying that a customer I worked for last week had already bought Weathershield from there at that 3 for the price of 2 ..Ive got to admit it was well worth it :oops: ..It was 'sandstone' & it covered his white bungalow in two coats & saved him a mint!
Go for it ;)

Not keen on Black Gloss for surfaces exposed to the sun like front doors or your windowsills. It gets very hot and this shortens its life, can cause blisters and cracking.

So what brands would you buy from homebase/b&q, is it just weathershield you'd buy? I'm guessing that a 3 for 2 offer would outweigh the cash account prices at brewers?

What paint would you suggest for my sills then?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back