Peraring for exterior paInting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, i'm planning on painting the exterior walls of my house over the next few weekends (inbetween six nations games).

The walls are smooth rendered and have never been painted, i've raked out and filled all cracks last summer, are there any suggestions on priming the walls before painting?

I was going to use diluted builders pva.. If so any sugestions on how long it takes to dry?? Also is there a problem if the temperature outside is around 6 - 8c? The paint i've bought is Sandtex fine textured masonary paint. Thanks for any comments

Sponsored Links
Too early yet for exterior emulsion really.. If the wall is dry and not flaking then only a dilute coat of emulsion is needed to start you off. Do not use PVA before emulsion paint. If it is flaking or sandy then use a stabilising solution.

Sponsored Links
Ok cheers.
Whats the reason for not using pva? Would it stop the wall breathing? Or wouldn't the paint take properly to it?

There seems to be lots of people, mainly on tv that think PVA is a good sealer/ primer for emulsion, but it doesnt work like that. The emulsion will probably peel off later.

another good tip is to go over the wall with a stiff broom head, to get rid of any dust etc that may be resident on the exterior wall surface.

If you want a good finished job, preparation is the key. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back