Exterior Re-rendering Dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I'm here to ask for your expert advice on whether to re-render the exterior of my property. I bought this 1930's built semi a couple of years back. I want to re-paint the exterior and do a general maintenance this summer.

The exterior render looks fairly sound, and there aren't any damp problems I've seen so far, but the white paint has been dulled over years. I also don't like the roughcast finish it has, and would prefer a smoother finish. Here is where I'm confused. A couple of builders who gave quote told me that the only way to achieve a smooth finish is to hack off the existing render to bricks and render newly.

Another builder said that's not required at all. He claims this can be achieved by keying the existing render with angle grinder, apply PVA and then 3 coats of plastering sand and lime mixture with water proofing. He's also offering a 10 year guarantee on it.

Do you think the second method works? If not, I might live with the roughcast finish as the first approach costs way more than I can afford right now.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back