Exterior render repair & redecoration - sensible price?

• Thread starter Deleted member 224559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 224559

Hi Folks - first time poster, long time user.

I've been quoted by a local company to sort out the pebbledash on my new house. I've used the company before for guttering/roofing work and have been very pleased with the results, but as I've never used them for this sort of thing I want to be sure they're taking the right approach and that my money is well spent. The pebbledash is currently unpainted and so any repairs would be obvious. As a result I've asked them to quote for painting it after the repairs are done.

I've got an area of roughly £110sqm that's covered in existing pebbledash. It's in OK condition from a distance, but when you get up close, a lot of it is soft and crumbly, some bits are missing entirely (old pipes since removed, house alarm box resulted in pebbledash being hacked off for some reason) and some of the pebble dashing has been applied below the damp proof course level, and so needs hacking off and the proper beading applied.

We also have a huge house number bolted to the front of the house that'll need removing and the pebbledash repairing around where it bolted in.

Here's the breakdown of the quote:

• - Remove burglar alarm and house number
    - Scrape off flakey paintwork and loose deposits (there's no paint on the pebbledash so I assume they're referring to the soft bits of pebbledash where it falls apart in your hands)
    - Hack off defective rendering as necessary.
    - Remove rendering below damp proof course
    - Cut out surface cracks to sound render
    - Apply fungicidal wash
    - Supply and fix code 4 lead flashings at the abutment of the rear extension roof and the rear elevation wall (I'm not actually sure what this means?)
    - Incorporating epoxy resin and metal mesh grid, re-render using a mixture of PVA unibond, 2 parts sand to 1 part cement.
    - Apply undercoat
    - Using high pressure spraying equipment, apply Longlife Exterior Textured Coating.
    - Wirebrush window sills
    - Apply 2 coats of stone paint to sills- Remove masking paper and clear all rubbish from site.

Workmanship and materials are apparently guaranteed for 15 years and they're asking £4,667 ex. vat for the job, which works out at roughly £40/sqm.

I've read on here quotes ranging from £20/sqm (for simple cement/sand) to £60/sqm (for modern materials with colour built in), so I'm not sure what to make of the quote I've been given above.

Any help or insight anyone has (I've never dealt with render or pebbledash on a house before - all my previous places have been straightforward brick) would be appreciated. We're planning to live here for the rest of our lives, so I don't want to cut corners and am happy to pay for good work.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
20 a square meter is very cheap, id say 30 is about as low as youd get. This would be a complete hack off though rather than a 'cover up'.
Scaffold and waste removal would be extra.
Add more to the price for modern materials or lime up to say 70 sqm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back