EXTERNAL DOOR -SKINNING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.... I've got an external, painted plain wooden door, that's not in the best of condition, and due to the fact that we'll be moving within the year.....didn't particularly want to spend out on a new one ..... about £60.

Question is can I put a thin skin of external quality plywood (3.6mm), on both sides, to refurbish it..... and what's the best way to go about it, adhesives,paint etc.

Sponsored Links
Will look cack, better to replace with a freebie from freecycle or the like.

Question is can I put a thin skin of external quality plywood (3.6mm), on both sides, to refurbish it..... and what's the best way to go about it, adhesives,paint etc.
You can - it will require the surface of the door to be stripped back to bare wood so that the adhesive can form a bond. Because it is an exterior door it will require a D3 or D4 PVA glue (NOT a PU glue, such as Gorilla) and will need a lot of tacks to hold the skin in place whilst the glue sets (unless you have some means to clamp 6ft 6in x 2ft 9in door or the like over its' entire surface. When installing this skin the outer skin will need to be set-back 15mm or so from the edges to allow the door to close in the frame rebate. You'll have a 3 to 4mm plywood edge to fill and sand then paint and that edge will not only be difficult to get a decent finish on, but it will be where the weather gets in - probably during the first bad weather. I've done temporary fixes like this a couple of times over the years to get people by for a few months (normally on emergency exit doors at the backs of buildings where looks aren't important) - they never look good, they always look like a bodge job to my mind, and all it takes to start them delaminating is a severe winter or a very wet summer. With the glue, abrasives, tacks, plywood, filler and paint you'll probably be spending £30 to £40 plus a lot of time and effort to do, basically, a bodge job - which won't last - and will look cack..... Which is what foxhole said :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for the reply ..... that's just what I was thinking ... lots of effort, for not much return.

Thinking about it,I might just jump in and get a new door .... sometimes, I suppose it's just not worth it....trying to save money etc !

But thanks again ....appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back