external drainage system to combat damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into an old Cornish cottage in April this year and as the weather gets worse, suprise suprise the walls have started to get some serious damp.

The house is built directly onto the granite below and there are no foundations. Additionally there is no drainage, and the garden at the back of the house is very steep and terraced, and the house is pushed up against it.

What I want to do (having consulted with various builders etc.) is dig a drainage system around the house, but one that is below floor level, and put a grate over the channel to try and stop moisutre getting right up against hte property.

What I want to know is for the drainage ditch, do I need to line it with concrete on all sides, is it worth lining the bottom of the ditch with concrete as well? Or is it better to simply make a french drain and then put a gutter system on top of that? Also I assume there is some risk in digging so close to the walls themselves, is there anything to watch out for or any way to mitigate the risk?

Any advice is much appreciated!

regards,

N.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back