external filler or caulk? advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am seeking some advice please.
I have an oldish house 1900's. It does not have the regular 'foundations' as was the way in those days. It is a brick built house but with a cement rendered exterior. Due to seasonal movement, and heat from a real fire/ chimney, there are several narrow but long cracks in various places. Having done a bit of research I am torn between using external polyfilla filler (powder), and a flexible paintable caulk. I have done some trials on a few cracks and angle grinding them a bit wider- the polyfilla fills ok and was easy to sand and paint over with sandtex. I feel though that a caulk may be better as I feel it may offer more 'flex', before recracking in the seasonal movement. The few test patches I did with acrylic caulk though shrunk very badly and left a noticeable depression where the crack was, even after painting. My question I suppose is filler or caulk? would polyurethane be the best for not shrinking if I go the caulk route? Any advice on best way and best products, gratefully received. Lastly with regards to quickest/safest way, is there a paint fed extending roller that works with masonry paint, or is scaffold, cherry picker only way? thanks a lot in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back