External Lights issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wonder if anyone can help with intermittent tripping problem

Distribution board 20amp MCB feeds a 20amp contactor to the outside sensor for external lights and bollards lights. Another small consumer unit wired in a way from the disi board and the contactor when the sensor turns the lights on the then gives power to the small consumer unit (hope this makes sense). Small consumer unit has 3 RCBOs for outside lights

the 20amp MCB in the the distribution board randomly trips ie about every hour.

the building is new about 3 years old and nothing changed. My understanding if a MCB trips its either a short or overload. Overload?? why as it just started happening. I dont think its weather related than the RCBOs would trip. Could it be the sensor or the contactor?

Any advice would be appreciated. Any further questions please ask

Sponsored Links
Sometimes MCBs take a while to trip if the fault current is low. None of the three RCBOS trip at whatsoever?

Update
Put a clamp meter on drawing 6amps and triped after 15mins

Sponsored Links
I guess the next step is to turn off each RCBO in turn to localise which circuit is drawing current?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back