Lighting circuit MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Downstairs lighting circuit tripped MCB for some reason, when switching on kitchen light. No lights working on downstairs circuit. Reset MCB, ie flicked switch up, but still no lights working, but MCB has not tripped again?. Have changed bulbs and flicked switch up and down etc. New consumer unit and MCB, RCD fitted by electrician less than 3 years ago. Any thoughts please?.

Sponsored Links
Can you confirm you've got all the light switches off on that circuit, when you have tried the MCB reset ?

Yes, did check this. all light switches off, and reset MCB again, but no diff, just in case I did not make clear, the MCB did not trip again,

Are you competant to check the live & neutral connections in the consumer unit & do you have a multimeter that you can use to carry out tests on the lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
Can check live and neutral, but stating obvious, but what should I be checking for?. Unfortunatly dont have multimeter, see if I can hold of one.

Can check live and neutral, but stating obvious, but what should I be checking for?. Unfortunatly dont have multimeter, see if I can hold of one.
You can pick up a multimeter for around a fiver at Maplins. You need to chek at the light fittings for 230v between live and neutral. This should give you an idea of where the problem is.

Located bad connection (broken) of neutral wires at lighting point. This resulted in all wires being live, if that makes sense?. Fixed connection and all OK now. Thankyou for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back