Faulty MCB?

rug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a brand new consumer unit fitted about 12 months ago with MCB's. When the bulbs in the downstairs circuit go they usually trip the MCB for that ring. This is not an issue.

However the same thing happened Saturday night and although I can flick the MCB switch back 'on' none of the lights are working. I thought it was virtually impossible to "blow" an MCB.

Can I just replace the MCB or have I got a more serious problem?

Any help would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
It is unusual, but not impossible for an MCB to fail. What brand is it?

Would you be changing the MCB yourself, and, how many lighting circuits with 6A MCBs do you have?

The brand is Square D.

I am unsure whether do replace it myself as I have not really touched the consumer unit sine it was installed.

Sorry forgot to mention there are only four swithches on the ring. Hall, porch, dining room and lounge. The lounge has a dimmer switch and those are the bulbs that normally cause the MCB to trip - I thought dimmers can cause a greater strain on the circuit.

You are probably wise not to do it yourself as a certain amount of safety and skill is neeeded to work inside the consumer unit, and there are regulations intended to discourage unqualified work. I have not used Square D but I believe they are a budget brand.

Supplementary question: the person who fitted it, was he from a recognised local electrician's firm; and did he give you some kind of certificate for the installation? if so they might be the best people to call on.

It may be as simple as a faulty MCB or it could be a failed connection somewhere, if you are not used to this kind of work, best to get a reputable electrician in. Fault-tracing is much easier when you are experienced and have the right equipment.

Sponsored Links
He was a local electrician.

The consumer unit was replaced when I had an extension built so it was all "above board" and conformed to the new local council building regulations (my apologies if I an getting all the terminology wrong) - which changed last April I think.

I know he tested all the circuits and rings as I was there when he did it. Yes I have got the certificate to say he did everything properly.

that's great, sounds like you did all the right things so it should be a proper job. Best thing, give him a call. As it is over a year I doubt he'll fix it free, but he sounds like the best person and will probably not take him long.

Thanks for your help. I will have to try and find his number now!

Cheers

Just to reinforce JohnD's advice, any reputable tradesman would far prefer for you to contact him with a problem, than go elsewhere.

rug wrote:
Thanks for your help. I will have to try and find his number now!

Cheers

see if he put it on a sticker on the CU.

And ask for a few cards so you can give them to your friends and neighbours and tell them he did a good job (or not, as the case may be A reliable local electrician with a personal recommendation is worth his weight in Jaffa cakes.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

The electrician came out yesterday (a few hours after I called him - he said he was in the area). The MCB was fine - that obviously did trip when the bulb blew but that was not the reason the other lights were not coming on.

He spent three hours ripping up carpet and floorboards looking at all of the work he had done last year. In the end it was nothing more than a loose connection.

He did not charge me as he said he could not be sure he did not cause the problem when he did the work last year!

Now that is what I call service

JohnD said:
JohnD said:
;) A reliable local electrician with a personal recommendation is worth his weight in Jaffa cakes. :LOL:

Does that mean that when I'm qualfied I'll be worth more than most? :LOL: ,though I wouldn't want the jaffa cakes anyway, they'd just make that situation worse :D

securespark said:
Trouble is, I don't want 19st of Jaffa Cakes....YUK!

Glad I'm not the only one who has this problem, Secure :) I'm 19st 13lb at the moment, ekk :eek: (was 20-5 but recently started my latest diet attempt), want to get down to 18st by september (long term, I want to get to 14/15*)

Being big seems make lofts arkward to work in, at least unusual ones like ours :( (think preformed loft trusses, and theres a 90 degree corner...)

*I'm 6'4" so I'm never going to be 8st

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back