resolved: MCB on but no power

The left hand incomer is 100mA time delayed.

This replaced a messy old fusebox and took them two days to figure out the house wiring. As mentioned previously, the 3 sockets in the room above the garage all run from different MCBs.

Is there anything I should be concerned about? We're hoping to extend and move the kitchen so will have a chance then to rectify things.

Sponsored Links
The only thing to be concerned about is that you have a single point of failure which is that upfront 100mA time delayed RCD, which when trips leaves you with nothing.

I am hoping you had some certification with the installation of the consumer unit, and that you kept it??

The only thing to be concerned about is that you have a single point of failure which is that upfront 100mA time delayed RCD, which when trips leaves you with nothing.

Not an unusual situation, especially in TT systems which have to be covered by an all-installation RCD.

PJ

Sponsored Links
I am hoping you had some certification with the installation of the consumer unit, and that you kept it??

Good question. Thinking back I'm not sure they ever sent it through, will have to dig out paperwork from that time (we had a lot going on with electrics/new boiler/plastering etc etc.)

Not an unusual situation, especially in TT systems which have to be covered by an all-installation RCD.

PJ

Not unusual at all, although does it comply? I have never installed a TT installation like that, it seems crazy, I have always used an individual main switch to henly blocks feeding two smaller consumer units minimum with RCD protection upfront.

Not unusual at all, although does it comply?
Does it? No.

Did it? Ish. It was always a bit flaky re 314-01-01 and 314-01-02, but 314-01-01 wasn't as explicitly worded as 314.1.

Although if were were honest we'd admit that 314.1 didn't change or add anything, it just made clear the sorts of things people should always have been thinking about anyway.

ane I have never installed a TT installation like that, it seems crazy,
But widely done - it was definitely the accepted default.

I know it was accepted, i have seen plenty of examples of it, although it isnt right, and it doesnt comply. Quite nice that they reworded that reg actually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back