MCB trip problem

Thanks for all the suggestions 1john, but nothing there seems likely. Of course, if my sparks would answer his effing phone.......

I've used a junction box system in the loft, so I thought i might start with the first room on the run, disconnect it from the rest and see if the MCB blew within a few hours. If it did presumably it must be that room, and if not, connect one room at a time, until i can narrow it down to one room. Does that make sense?

Sponsored Links
That would work would be a little dodgy as you are using an MCB to detect a fault. An insulation resistance tester would be ideal, perhaps you can hire one? What were the readings on the certificate that the electrician gave?

No readings yet. He connected the new circuits about two weeks ago and promised to come back last Friday and do the readings for the Part P. But he didn't turn up. I wouldn't know where to start with an insulation resistance tester, unfortunately.

BTW i think you need the accusative plural of meum ovum, which might be mea ova, but it's a while since i did latin :)

It is not difficult to do as long as you understand what you are doing and why. So the sparky energised all the circuits but did not do any testing??!!

Sponsored Links
He just checked that they worked OK - something about a complete circuit?? But he had to pick up his kids from school and promised to come back and do the readings for NAPIT, which i presume are the ones you're referring to?

NAPIT is the scheme he is a member of which he will use to notify the work to the LABC. Was he aware that you were going to do all the wiring and he was going to connect up and test? Did he inspect your work at first fix stages?

Wet plaster shouldn't affect cable unless the insulation is damaged. Spreads 'never' damage PVC insulation because it could spoil their favourite trowel. On the other hand...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back