MCB trips when turned on AND RCD trips too

Are the conservatory light/s also wired from the circuit protected by the MCB that trips ?

No the conservatory lights are on a separate circuit.

The faulty circuit literally includes:
3 x Double indoor socket
1 x Outdoor socket which is spurred from one of the above
1 x Underfloorheating protected with a FCU

Sponsored Links
Oh I see. It already has a unswitched FCU. So wouldn’t taking the fuse out of that act the same as a SFCU?
Surely - No.

...unless it was a double pole SFCU. Always best to have a double pole isolator, on anything which goes outdoors, because there is a higher probability of faults - which need to be isolated.
What difference would that make if Zeddd is only going to take out the fuse.

When the RCD tripped whilst you were ironing,you then went to the consumer unit ,which MCB/s were tripped off ,before you reset the RCD ?

When the RCD tripped whilst you were ironing,you then went to the consumer unit ,which MCB/s were tripped off ,before you reset the RCD ?

It wasn’t me who actually reset them. It was the wife! So I couldn’t say right now.

From the conversation a few were tripped (upstairs lighting, upstairs sockets and downstairs conservatory as a minimum) and she lifted them all except the conservatory one which is the one that’s refusing to go up.

Sponsored Links
You should call in an electrician to check out the installation,if you haven't already .

You could simply eliminate the UFH by (power off first!) disconnecting the UFH Live&Neutral from the load side of the FCU.

I think it best you get a pro involved.
They might open up the consumer unit, after safely isolating it, then disconnect the circuit completely, then try resetting the RCD and MCB.
If they stay on then they would undertake a certain number of tests of the circuit.
Before all of that they would probably give a cursory visual inspection in the first instance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back