rcd tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The rcd keeps tripping I have worked out its something upstairs causing it and its the sockets but the Mcb doesn't trip also I have narrowed it down to one room but if I check with a socket tester they all show fine I think its due to the computer would this cause the rcd to trip thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Unplug the computer and find out it if still trips would be a good place to start.

It would seem you have a leakage of current to earth,
either from the live or the neutral.

Computers can be responsible for this but it may just be that the computer is adding enough to trip the RCD while the main problem is somewhere else.

Socket testers wont show this.

Unplug - not just switch off - everything on the circuit and see if the computer still trips it. Then try other items one at a time although, as said, it may be an accumulation of appliances or faults.

If you can't find it by doing this you will need an electrician with proper test equipment.

I notice you also have talked about replacing an mcb - have you done so and if so has the rcd tripping started after this change?

Sponsored Links
no the rcd tripped before that i turned off the mcb to see if it was upstairs and when i turned it back on there was no power and no resistence when turning on mcb

computer has been unplugged all day and no trip so far

That may have identified the culprit. But as EFLImpudence has said, you may have an amount of earth leakage on that RCD already and the computer equipment just is enough to trip the RCD.

May be time to reconfigure your CU with individual RCBOs. You'll need an electrician to do this.

Try plugging the PC back in and removing all other items of equipment.
See if you still have enough earth leakage to trip RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back