RCD tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need a bit of help regarding the RCD tripping on my consumer unit.
At the weekend the RCD tripped, knocking off the sockets. Tried resetting
but it wouldn't, kept flicking back to the OFF position. Turned off all the
sockets and narrowed it down to the fused spur which feeds the central
heating control panel which was causing the RCD to trip. Turned the fused
spur back on and it would trip again. Waited a couple of minutes, then
tried again and this time the RCD did not trip.

This morning, the same happened again, the RCD tripped and again, leaving
the fused spur turned off I could reset the RCD. This leaves us with no
central heating. I switched off the cooker switch and turned on the fused
spur and it did not trip the RCD.

Anyone any ideas?

TIA

Sponsored Links
RCD trips are quite often caused by water getting into electrical parts.

Sometimes a boiler, or a central heating pump, springs a leak and drips onto a connection or circuit board.

You mention the cooker. Is the cooker supplied through the RCD? (often they are not, neither are lighting circuits). If it is, then it is possible that you have an accumulation of small earth leakages. It is not unusual to have a slight leak through the oven element, this is so small that it is not a safety hazrd, and will not trip the RCD, but added to one or more other small leakages, they can add up to enough to trip it.

From what you say I would start by having an engineer examine your boiler, pump and controls for a fault (probably a water leak, possibly a loose wire or electrical fault) which is causing the RCD to trip. Explain this to whoever you call in before making the appointment, as you need someone who is used to this kind of fault. To work on a gas boiler he will need to be CORGI qualified.

JohnD said:
To work on a gas boiler he will need to be CORGI qualified.

Not if they only work on the Electrical controls and supply, however they must be Part P registered.

I would agree with John though that getting someone in to look at the boiler would be a good step.It is likely to be something like a faulty control board in the boiler, controller or even a thermostat (though not common as this is the cheapest item!!)

A heating engineer would be the best person to call in, save the expense of a Spark and possibly a heating enginner down the line. I would agree with John that they MUST be Corgi registered, that would cover all bases then, he could even service the boiler at the same time!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back