How to reset an RCD on a CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Crabtree CU (split load with RCD and SB6000 MCBSs). We have had issues with certain high powered items intermittently tripping the RCD on different circuits. ie a compressor in the garage.. Fridge on the downstairs ring main and more recently a spur that goes outside for a hot tub. All installed before we moved in and the spur to the hottub is 6mm SWA cable and appears to be bonded correctly. My question is - should you be able to reset the RCD with the MCBs switched to on? The only way I can ever reset it is to either turn off the main switch, reset the rcd and then turn back on, or switch each one of the RCD MCBS off and then turn them back on individually. It doesn't trip again for a while doing this and can last for a month or so. Cheers. Andy.

Sponsored Links
That is quite normal. Each item will have a small leakage to earth and all combined is too close to limit to reset. Also found resetting one RCD of pair can trip second.

If the RCD tripping is becoming more and more of an issue then consider moving a couple of circuits to the unprotected side of the CU and using RCBOs instead (assuming you have a split load board and spare ways on the board).

It will avoid the possible scenario of coming home from holiday to find your freezer has defrosted. ;)

The use of RCBO's has been talked about many times. Although the more you split circuits the less chance there is that they will trip it also increases the chance you will not notice if it does.
When my lights go out I know the RCD needs resetting. There are auto resetting types but at £250 each you need to loss a few freezers full to pay for themselves. I have run with two RCD's covering whole house since about 1990 and not lost a freezer full of food yet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for the info and advice. I've looked around for a Type 1 RCBO and think it's time to get the CU changed....Oh if only it wasn't for all this Part P nonsense (I know it's not nonsense really).

Cheers

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back