RCD mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did a CU swap this week, dual RCD BG 16 way, I tested the second RCD, it would not reset, switched power off still no reset, disconnected it and it reset, fitted back in the CU it tripped with power off, still not resetting

I took the same type RCD out of my garage unit and fitted it in the CU all good, fitted the tripping RCD in my garage all good ????

Sponsored Links
The fact that it would not reset with the power off means this is a mechnical problem rather than electrical. I would suggest that perhaps the mechncials were a bit marginal on the original RCD and when fitted in the DB the strain on the terminals pulls it a little out of line, but release it and it works fine out of the board. Perhaps things are a little less strained in the garage board.

I've certainly seen similar on a 4 pole RCD in a plastic enclosure on a farm, tails cable through 4x m20 stuffing glands (plastic enclosure), the spacing of cable entried was wider than the poles on the RCD, but because both were centered about the middle of the enclosure, no terminal was too far out that a tail could not be entered through the gland, guided slightly over to its terminal and suggestfully tightened down. The RCD would not reset, even with no power. But take it out and its fine. Once the tails were re-dressed with a small set so they were in the RCD witghout applying sideways loading, the problem was no more

Sponsored Links
Sure you have not got a neutral connection to the wrong terminal bar. If its Dual and you have added something, make sure neutrals are in the right one or it will trip all day every day

Never got chance to test it in situ, the existing one was ok and the one in my garage has been fine

So, you changed a CU and did not carry out the required tests - which includes full tests of the RCDs?

I have no sympathy.

If you read my initial post properly, instead of jumping in with both feet you will realise what happened

Did a CU swap this week, dual RCD BG 16 way, I tested the second RCD, it would not reset, switched power off still no reset, disconnected it and it reset, fitted back in the CU it tripped with power off, still not resetting

I took the same type RCD out of my garage unit and fitted it in the CU all good, fitted the tripping RCD in my garage all good ????

I had a similar issue with a recent 16 way board (not BG, brand was 3 letters). Excess lateral strain on the RCD terminals would explain the way that one went as well (circuits all fine, RCD fine on the bench and fine after refitting with more care taken setting the tails in & out of the RCD)

Yes can only be that, all been fine AFAIK not been back since, and the RCD in my garage is holding, still wondering how to test an RCD that will not reset though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back