RCD tripping question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a situation where the RCD is tripping. I have only 3 circuits on a split load board. One side has the lights and the other side has the socket radial (3 sockets) and a door entry supply.
l plugged the hoover in today and wiggled the plug in the socket as the socket is intermittent (i know this is only the socket intermittent and not the supply to the socket) and this tripped the rcd, only it tripped the rcd on the other side of the split load board on not the rcd that it should have. I understand that the socket it the cause of the fault but why has it tripped the other rcd? I have checked for crossed neutrals and all seem correct. I also did an rcd test and these where all fine and tripped the correct rcd. Any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you complete insulation resisitance tests? RCD testing will only confirm that the RCD's operate within the specified times/currents. It won't highlight any problems with the fixed wiring.

When you say you checked for crossed neutrals? How did you check?

I'm also a little confused by your decription of it tripping the 'other rcd'? You say it's a split load board so I assumed it had only one RCD and the sockets were on that? :confused:

More info needed!

l plugged the hoover in today and wiggled the plug in the socket as the socket is intermittent (i know this is only the socket intermittent and not the supply to the socket)
FGS fix that!

5 minute job. Could be horrible things going on inside.

I have two RCD's and common when re-setting one it will trip the other. It has put a spike on the line due to switching.
To reduce this problem one has to reduce switching or make it fast. Any poor connection is of course switching and if multi-switching very likely to produce spikes and the solution is clear. Fix the socket.

Sponsored Links
Yes I will replace the socket and this is no problem. I just don't understand the reason for it tripping the rcd on the other side of the split load board and not the rcd that is that its controlled by..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back