rcd question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help to put the answer to the following into words?

on a dual rcd board with sockets up and down on different sides one rcd will trip however if moved so both socket circuits are on one side of rcd the rcd will function correctly explain the reason why the rcd trips?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
to be honest think i would never be able to sort this one, friend rang said he had ran into trouble so i called in and had a quick look.

basically ring a is not a ring only one cable in sockets downstairs but 2x 2.5 in 32a mcb at board possibly two radials run from one breaker?

i originally thought he had crossed the legs until i found the downstairs only had one cable entering socket

yup.. interlinked rings there mate..
either that or you've got the neutrals crossed at the board or got them in the wrong neutral bar..
but you say it's right and who are we to doubt you..

basically ring a is not a ring only one cable in sockets downstairs but 2x 2.5 in 32a mcb at board
¿Que?

i originally thought he had crossed the legs until i found the downstairs only had one cable entering socket
Which socket?

All of them??

on a dual rcd board with sockets up and down on different sides one rcd will trip however if moved so both socket circuits are on one side of rcd the rcd will function correctly explain the reason why the rcd trips?
It can't have been like this for any length of time - someone has just done something, haven't they?

Who?

What?

What testing did they do before energising?

How much do they know?

Why did they do it when the answer to that last question is "not enough"?

board just changed, no testing prior to change and although partp registered certainly not very competent which sort of proves how bad the competent persons scheme is.

anyways kitchen appears to be on a ring (new kitchen and apparently kitchen firm did some electrical work)
living room and dining room all sockets have only one cable.

quite happy to help but its such mess up not sure where to begin

oohhh,, sir!.. sir!! I know...
there are lots of JB's under the floor..one spur from each to a socket.. start pulling floorboards.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back